A Brush with Kindness (ABWK) is an exterior home preservation
program that provides painting, landscaping and minor exterior repair
services for homeowners in need. ABWK helps low-income homeowners,
impacted by age, disability and family circumstances, who struggle to maintain
the exterior of their homes, reclaim their homes with pride and dignity.
ABWK uses volunteers, donated materials and no-interest loans to make
repairs affordable, helping low-income homeowners continue to live
independently and securely in their homes.
- Are you living in challenging circumstances, which have created issues that are beyond what you can handle on your own?
- Are you struggling to keep your home in livable condition?
- Have you had to choose between paying for food, medication, taxes, and basic utilities?
- Are you facing city code violations or homeowner insurance cancellation due to the condition of your home?
- Must complete Homeowner Application (link below)
- Family income must be under 60% of the HUD Income Guidelines
- Homes must be owner-occupied
- Scope of work must match program resources
- All able-bodied homeowners and residents of the home are required to work alongside volunteers
- Homeowners are expected to be cooperative partners with staff and volunteers
Once a homeowner's eligibility is determined and their application is accepted, Habitat for Humanity of West Central Minnesota's A Brush with Kindness program provides caring volunteer groups who come work alongside and assist homeowners in completing minor repairs, painting, and other home maintanance.